Tuesday 12 October 2010

I am currently based in my hometown working across the spectrum of Fine Art, incorporating different types of memory in each piece, as they can be random, selective, and many are fragile. Using found objects such as brass ornaments, photographs and postcards I have been experimenting with different effects of light and shadows to evoke a range of emotions associated with the personal memories of the viewer. I like the idea of using found objects because it gives me the sense that I am making something from nothing, using possesions that were once treasured and giving it a new purpose.

I’m interested in memories themselves, what they are and how they work. It’s interesting which memory comes to mind when asked certain questions or see certain images, how we forget special moments in our lives, as well as suppressing the unhappy ones. Memories define our very existence; you remember your loved ones when they are gone, so they still live within you. You are remembered when you die but generations down the line, you become a forgotten memory, person and soul. I would like my work to be a catalyst for retrieving those lost or hidden memories.





No comments:

Post a Comment